Sep 18, 2009

There must be a taxi driver code of conduct I don't know about...

...We booked our taxi for the final ride to the airport on Sunday afternoon. We asked that the taxi be at the hotel for 6am. I was there when the clerk booked the call and she said 6am.

At 5:45am, I asked my husband if we could just go downstairs because we were ready to go and just had to check out. He opted to wait another 5 minutes. By the time we got downstairs, the taxi had arrived.

Now, in Paris as before the taxi even moves an inch, the base charge is 6€ (about 12$US). By the time we got to the taxi, the ticker was going on 12€. Hmm, okay I can swallow that but we didn't ask him to be there until 6am so if he started the ticker early, that's his own coin right?

So we loaded our luggage into the trunk, bid a tearful goodbye to the Latin Quarter and headed toward the airport.

We didn't fly out until 8:45am so we had time to spare and the driver took every last opportunity to drive very slowly. So slowly in fact that he hit the brakes every time he neared the speed limit. Mopeds were driving faster than this guy did.

Finally, we reached the airport. The ticker read 57€. I told my husband the total. The driver commented that it was 59€ with the luggage. Now, I'm not sure what exactly he meant with the luggage but I didn't care, I just wanted out of the cab and to start heading home.

That being said, I wasn't impressed. My husband gave him 60€ as he didn't have any change, and the driver offer a 1€ back in change. Seriously?

0 comments:

Post a Comment