Sep 17, 2009

Trocadero and the Champs de Elysees

After we toured the Tower site, we headed across the bridge (one of many bridges that connect the two sides of Paris) to the Trocadero area.

We climbed the path that lead to the Musee de l'Homme (Museum of Man) and headed down rue Kleber.

We passed many shops and cafes along the way. We stopped along the way to admire the architecture, the many librairies (bookstores) and the sights.

We passed a bookstore which had several books on Babar and the Barbapappa's. Now, I remember both of these characters from when I was a kid but alas, my husband does not. Strange, he was the one who grew up with cable and I just had a lowly antenna.

Oh well, we continued down the steet, passing a Ferrai store (my dad's a F1 racing fan) but I didn't get any photos of that (I got some at the Renault store).

Finally we reached the Arc de Triomphe. Its huge and I NEVER want to have to navigate a car around that roundabout. There is no real traffic lights and it just looks like a holy mess.

But that being said, the Arc itself, is gorgeous. It features so much of what I find fascinating about Paris - how they can have spent so much time, money and effort to beautify their city?

Like many monuments and historical plaques in Paris, the Arc contains the names of those who served in mililary conquests. There are many plaques throughout Paris that acknowledge those who died in some fashion serving their country. At each of these plaques, there is a fresh bouquet of flowers that the city pays for.

Photobucket



Its quite the sight, seeing all the traffic zoom around this monument..there isn't too many traffic lights, scary!

Photobucket

A side view

Photobucket

The names of some of Napoleon's Generals


0 comments:

Post a Comment